Sunday, March 22, 2009

The New Army: No Guidance, Even When Requested.

For those who enjoy keeping up with the trials and tribulations of my constant struggle to be a productive IVAW member and also a good soldier, I thought I'd pass this on.

Every now and again, the subject of my IVAW membership has come up with leadership. Generally, when this has come up, I've asked said leadership if they have any specific problems, questions, or concerns, and provided material when requested. I don't have anything to hide-I'm probably currently the most public active duty IVAW member short of Casey Porter. They in turn have come up with their own questions, thoughts, commentary, concerns, and orders. For example, when I took part at the DNC/RNC this past year, I was under orders from my SFC NCOIC/PSG "not to get myself arrested for hugging some trees or something." Even interpreted as a more blanket order not to get arrested while on leave, it was still specific guidance as to how I could balance my responsibilities.

I have currently, to date, asked my squad leader, platoon sergeant, first sergeant, sergeant major, and commander for guidance. My squad leader, probably the most reasonable individual in my leadership, has health and safety concerns. I'm not supposed to go anywhere where someone who's been making threats against me might be looking to hurt me. This is completely reasonable, and I have no issues with it. My platoon sergeant has offered broad generalities, no orders, no real guidance, but has simply said that if I stop talking on my blog, I might get less threats. My first sergeant has said that he has no real concerns, I'm entitled to my beliefs, but the commander has some concerns over regulations. The sergeant major has said my life would be much easier if I leave the policies to the lawmakers and just do what I'm told without thinking about the big picture.

My commander, when asked for specific guidance, says that he doesn't think it would be appropriate to tell me what his concerns are. He says that he has some, and may press for punishment on them, but he won't tell me what they are. He will not tell me what he thinks is wrong for me to do so that I can avoid doing it again, and refuses to tell me what he would like from me.

Which is just great-apparently, counseling is OK and useful for all soldiers...except ones that apparently tick off major and influential figures. Or is it that these individuals are simply too into CYA to risk putting their thoughts and opinions about my actions in writing?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just don`t get it. Keep it up....

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Charlie said...

When I wrote evals I made sure that anything a Sailor was rated on had been discussed in previous counseling. I made sure my people knew what was expected and, as a result my Sailors knew where the line was.

Sgt. AD has the same right. If she is going to be threatened with NJP or Court Martial she has a right to know where the command believes the line to be. Anything less is poor leadership.

Casey J Porter said...

The Army today is overrun with poor leadership. Selena, keep kickin' ass. Oh, and thanks for bringing me up. :)

Anonymous said...

I inclination not concur on it. I over polite post. Particularly the title attracted me to study the intact story.

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Cool blog you got here. It would be great to read a bit more about that matter. Thanx for giving that information.

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.