Tuesday, April 29, 2008

More of an update

I know that some of you would greatly prefer that things were all doom and gloom-some of the naysayers charge that all we IVAW members have to offer is negativity. Well, it's a great day outside, and I'm in a great unit with what seems thus far like awesome leadership, so you're all going to have to suck up some positivity.

Once again, I'm not going to name my unit, because they don't deserve the letters I'm sure they would then get from people who don't have anything better to do with their lives. But thus far, the first sergeant and the CO seem to both have their head screwed on pretty tight. Both of them have had a lot of experience, and they seem to understand the Army motto I live by: sometimes things and times have to suck really, really hard. Give your guys as much good times as you can afford, because the day will come when their lives will suck, and they may need that balance. They also seem to take the tack that it is who you are, and what you do for the unit, and not your political views, that matter. I haven't caught any trouble from that Army Times letter, and everyone has been just as helpful as ever.

IVAW in Germany is also very warm and open. Members of IVAW have helped me out, not more than my unit, as was the case back in the States, but about as much as my unit has. I also expect membership to start taking off at any moment, possibly even rivalling the US. People everywhere here seem really aware of the problems in the military caused by the Iraq Occupation. In fact, I have yet to talk to anyone here who thinks the war was a good idea.

Speaking of IVAW, I have once again updated my SGLI (Servicemembers' Group Life Insurance) at yet another SRP..and once again, IVAW comes in for a share of the proceeds. Idealogical opponents with quick tempers and hastier fists, remember if you accidentally kill me, IVAW comes in for a chunk of change! Well, a member, at least, because I couldn't figure out how to leave money to an organization on that form. But that member knows what I want them to do with it.

The cartoon I got the idea from is old as hell, and here. Just for those of you guys who like Vietnam so much.

4 comments:

KA said...

sounds like you're doing a good job and having a good time. Good on you.

Anonymous said...

Beetle Bailey was cool, sarge but could you blow it up a bit? The print's too small.

Anonymous said...

AS.....Since your out of country, I only have two things to say to you.

Be safe, fire when its clearly apparent you or others in your unit are in danger.

Don't play out the "lets talk" scenero. Got that?

Second; When you come home, I'll want to take you to dinner in an out of the way resteraunt that no one needs to know about.

Third; After it's all over, I want us to hit the streets. You on your side, Me on mine!

Sent St Michael & Christopher to watch over you & your people.

Anonymous said...

About 30 or 40 miles outside K town there is a town called Edenkoben, Germany - the region absolutely makes the best vino and other liqueurs. (Not that I advocate drinkin :))